Take a journey through the British heavy psych and hard rock underground scene 1968-1972 with David Wells, compiler of a new 3 CD box set I’m A Freak Baby. Speaking to Strange Brew host Jason Barnard, David plays highlights from this new collection, balancing the familiar with the obscure.
- The Pink Fairies – Do It (Single A-side, Polydor, 1971)
- Open Mind – Cast a Spell (Single B-side to Magic Potion, Phillips, 1969)
- Crushed Butler – My Son’s Alive (Not originally issued, rec 1970)
- Factory – Time Machine (Single A-side, Oak, 1971)
- The Mickey Finn – Garden Of My Mind (Single A-side, Direction, 1967)
- Deep Purple – Fireball (Single A-side, Harvest, 1971)
- Iron Claw – Skullcrusher (Not originally issued, rec 1970)
- The Taste – Born on the Wrong Side of Time (Single A-side, Polydor, 1969)
- Wicked Lady – I’m a Freak (Not originally issued, rec 1972)
- Groundhogs – Cherry Red (Split, Liberty, 1971)
- Charge – Rock My Soul (Charge, SRT, 1973)
- Fleetwood Mac – Green Manalishi (With The Two Prong Crown) (Single A-side. Reprise, 1970)
Where tracks were not originally issued they are now available on I’m A Freak Baby: A Journey Through The British Heavy & Psych Hard Rock Underground Scene 1968-72 (Grapefruit, 2016)
Uncover Alexis Petridis’s (The Guardian) album of the week, a set ‘that perfectly captures its era‘.